KING JOHN DECLARES REGENCYFollowing a silence of several weeks, King John has apppointed S:reu Alexandreu Davinescu Regent for his continued...Read More
Académieu Rexhitál del Drapéux
The Royal Academy of Vexillology is the office of the College of Arms that advises His Majesty on issues relating to the flags, banners and standards of the Realm. Since Talossa is part of North America, the Royal Academy follows the standards set down by the North American Vexillological Association (NAVA) [web page =www.nava.org].
NAVA’S FIVE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF FLAG DESIGN
- The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory
- Scalability – works in sizes from a large flag down to a lapel pin;
- Appearance when limp, flapping, or at a distance;
- Reversibility—doesn’t look “funny” on the reverse (but need not be symmetrical).
- Representational symbols — the symbols “say” something to the viewer;
- Recognizable treatment—the symbolism can be easily identified;
- Significant, not a minor symbol;
- Colors, if carrying meaning, count here in symbolism.
- The number of colors on the flag are limited to no more than three, which contrast well and come from the standard color set
- Rule of Tincture is honoured: lights don’t border lights, darks don’t border darks;
- Monochromatic—The design “works” in black & white version.
- Overall aesthetics—attractiveness to viewer;
- Balance and symmetry;
- Timelessness—the design is not “trendy”.
- Distinctiveness: Not easily confused with other existing flags, especially other North American city, county, province or state flags; If similar to another flag, the similarity should be purposeful.
Citizens proposing to develop a flag, banner or standard are encouraged to review the NAVA publication Good Flag, Bad Flag, available here:http://www.nava.org/Flag%20Design/GFBF/index.html
- Flags of the Realm – from the Armorial, the banners identifying the Kingdom and its subdivisions.
- Flags of the World – FOTW is the Internet’s largest site devoted to the study of flags.
- Vexilla-mundi – Flag images and flag news from all over the world.
God Save Talossa! God Save the King!
College Home | Armorial | Burk’s Peerage | Royal Academy of Vexillology | The Royal Gazette | Laws of Heraldry | Rules of Heraldry | Obtaining Arms | Getting Started | Glossary | Restricted Charges | Non-Talossan Arms | Court of Chivalry | Scholarly Works | The Library | Staff | Join the College